Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Candy makers

Title: The Candy Makers
Author: Wendy Mass
Number of Pages: 453 (but it went by quicker than you can imagine)
Where I found the book: At the book store
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
Date Published: October 2010


Summery

Every thing a child could ever dream of lay just moments away, A mouth watering adventure lingered on the tip of their tongue. How were four children supposed to handle it ? For Logan Sweet, however, the candy factory was his home. Logan's father was ,in fact the candy maker, but since his father wasn't getting any younger it was time to put his son, along with three other children, to the test to see who could create the most creative and delectable candy. Now you mustn't get this story mixed up with Charly and the chocolate factory, for that it definitely is not. But once the day finally arrives and the candy factory opens their doors, Logan finds himself face to face with three complete strangers ; Daisy , Phillip, and Miles.
Then the journey begins, the four of them embark on an adventure that will change their lives forever. The four children grow in their friend ships and just when Logan thinks he has found some friends every thing changes.
Logan realizes that all his friends want is the candy makers secret ingredient. How could they? Logan doesn't understand, can he trust them any more?
After they all have gotten down to work creating their candy,Logan approaches Miles. Was he supposed to just ask him what he was after? Relieved that Miles was most certainly not interested in any secret ingredient, he moved on to Daisy.
This is where Logan got confused. The Daisy she appeared to be, was definitely not the Daisy she really was, in fact, her name wasn't even Daisy. She soon became one of Logan's suspects.
Next stop Philip, But I'll leave you to find out the rest.
This story gives each character a chance to write their own perspective. And the title,
"The Candy Makers" explains how each child must create their own candy, but in the end they must combined all their ideas, and work together.

Christian Perspective

I'm not exactly sure how I could write a christian perspective for this story, however one thing that I noticed was that God uses his people to work together. He is calling us to be united as a family of Christ, just like Logan and his three friends did. Another thing that I saw in this book was that even if someone has hurt you before, we need to forgive them, we must forgive them and try to forget.


My Thoughts

I really enjoyed reading this book. Even though it may look a bit longer, that is no reason to turn it down. You will find your self drooling over all the delicious creations and reading chapters over just for the joy of it I got so attached to the book I forgot what was happening in my life, and stepped into the candy factory. Where Logan, Miles,Daisy, and Philip become part of your family I didn't want it to be over. I recommend this book to all candy lovers, and guess what? It doesn't even matter how much you don't enjoy reading.


4 comments:

  1. Although it doesn't sound like this book is written from a Christian perspective, I like how you saw some Christ-like characteristics in the unity of the characters. Sounds like an intriguing book and your review left me wanting candy. Great book review Elena!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for not letting the length of the book scare you away. Your report tells of key events in the book and I especially enjoyed reading about your thoughts. I do believe that I'd like to drool 'over all the delicious creations' described in the book.
    Awesome writing here Elena.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a great book. Would I be able to borrow it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure Luke. sorry it took me so long to reply!

    ReplyDelete