Thursday, March 1, 2012

Annie's Book Review


Title- Halo: Contact Harvest- Part I

Author- Joseph Staten

Publisher- Tom Doherty Associates, LLC.

Place and year of publication- 2007 New York City

Pages- 139

Where I found it- At home


Story Review


The title of this book highlights the overall storyline of both the books and the games. The Halo’s (after which this book is named) are the ultimate weapons of mass destruction, built by an ancient race of aliens long ago who mysteriously disappeared.

This story takes place on a planet called Harvest in the year 2524 and focus’s not on the Halo’s but on the beginning of a conflict with another alien entity known as The Covenant. Harvest is a small planet that produces food for the Earth colonies across the galaxy.
The story starts off by us being introduced to a young staff sergeant named Avery Johnson. Avery works for the UNSC (United Nations Space Command). The UNSC was formed in the 22nd century as an overseer of the United Nations military operations in space. The books and games focus on war. War because at the time, the UNSC soldiers were fighting against a rebellion called the I Insurrectionists.The Insurrectionists only rebelled because they were against the government. They didn’t like the way they were being controlled.

This book also has the theme of war because of the conflict between the UNSC and The Covenant.

Christian Perspective


This book was not written in a Christian way, but there are biblical references.

Just as the story of Noah’s Ark, there is a similar story in this book. The Ark in this book is a place that can protect anything from the mass destruction of the Halo’s. The Halos job is to wipe out any sentient life. Just as Noah’s ark saved him and others from the flood, the ark in this book saves whoever is inside it from the Halo’s which when activated destroy a parasite called The Flood.

My thoughts


I chose this book because I love the video game Halo. Also I was looking for a good book to read and this became my number one choice after it was recommended to me by my brother. I rate this book very high because I think the

author wrote it very well. It has a great background to it. There was truly nothing that I disliked about the book. It is my kind of book and something I enjoy reading so I have no objections. I would recommend this book to anyone who has played the game Halo on the Xbox. This book doesn’t actually tell the same story as the game. It goes back father so that you can have a good idea of what happened before Avery Johnson got involved with the Covenant war.

1 comment:

  1. I think you did our first book review on a science fiction book Annie! It sounds like an interesting read. If I remember right, the game Halo came out way before this book would have been written. It would be interesting to know if the author based the writing of this book on the game, or if the concept was there before the book and the game. I also think it's interesting that they use a biblical reference in the book. I wonder what the purpose of that is?

    ReplyDelete