Thursday, April 26, 2012

Tortured for Christ


Tortured for Christ

Author: Richard Wurmbrand
Publisher: The Voice of the Martyrs, Inc.
Place and year of publication: Bartlesville, OK 1976
Number of pages: 157
Where I found the book: My house


Story Review

This story is about a man named Richard Wurmbrand. It took place in Romania and the story began in the year 1944. Richard had grown up as an orphan with a family in Romania. His life was bitter and plain with no religion. He was an atheist and simply refused to believe in Christ, but still something drew him to churches and their services on Sundays. He had a great interest in religion and wanted to know more. He spoke to a pastor and the pastor gave him a bible. Richard read it and accepted Christ into his heart. His burning passion for Christ grew and he became a pastor of his own church, but soon after, the communists came into Romania and set up a political system known as Marxism (a form of communism), which didn’t allow for much religious or political freedom. Communists took over Romania and replaced Christian pastors with spies because they didn’t want anyone believing in Christ. Richard simply could not become a spy. He founded a long line of churches known as the underground church. They did everything to convert people to Christianity, but their actions had a consequence. Torture, which explains the title “Tortured for Christ”. If they were caught in these acts, they were taken to jail and beaten, but they did not care. Their love of God had grown so strong that it did not matter.

Christian Perspective

This book was definitely Christian, as the title indicates. Christ was applied to all aspects of their life even in the worst times they prayed and never doubted God. Their strength came from God and they were internally strong even when they were physically weak. In jail or on the streets they had no fear. This was admirable and the most I can say for this is that they never feared, were always strong, and had hope.

My thoughts

I chose this book because I had to do a biography, and I really wanted to read something Christian. I thought this book was amazing! I have to say that Richard gave me hope for spreading Christ. I have no need to fear because this is an obvious representation that God is always with you. This man was admirable and I love the way his problems were handled. I have to say that there was nothing that I disliked about the book. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to read a really interesting story about

1 comment:

  1. Reading stories about people, like Richard, who have suffered for their faith can be inspiring. Sometimes I wonder if my faith would be stronger if the place we lived with was so intolerant of Jesus and what he stands for, that followers would be persecuted. However, I also think that if I would be bolder about my faith when I am in the community, I would face persecution. Probably the thing that's deterring me, and I'm sure this is not uncommon, is just fear of what people think. Reminds me that I need to pray for more boldness, and then represent Christ with boldness like Richard. Great book review Annie!

    ReplyDelete